Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Keep It Real

I'm not a food snob. And, I don't give too much respect to one. Unfortunately, people like to think that I, as a food writer and wife of a chef, must hold an extraordinarily high culinary standard. I hate to disappoint, but I love simple, basic food. The simpler the better.


I believe the best food is one that is made from fresh, natural ingredients (Organic is always good, but I'll take what I can get - in Texas, it's not always easy to find organic produce at a reasonable price range.), prepared in simple ways, and tastes like what it's supposed to. Say, a tomato that tastes like fish isn't exactly my cup of tea.


Here, no offense to Chef Ferran Adria. I think he's a true innovator and a food revolutionary. But, honestly, how many times do you want to eat frothy ham? Or crunchy olive oil rings? It's fun to try it, and to challenge yourself what food is supposed to be. At the end of the day, food is nothing more than nourishment for the body and soul.


So when I read this article in New York Times today, my first reaction was NOOOOOOO! I want nothing to do with fake chocolate! It's hard enough to find chocolate that doesn't taste overwhelmingly sweet. And now we have to live with chocolate that's made with artifical cocoa butter? If the FDA allows manufacturers to use cheaper fats instead of cocoa butter, a majority of our future generation will never know what real chocolate tastes like. Plus, who knows what adverse effects this subsititution could bring? People had been eating margarine for years before realizing that they've been eating tons of trans fats all along.


I don't dream of fancy food every day, but please don't give me (and the world) any more artificial food. I'd rather keep it real.

*************************************************************

My favorite chocolate dessert is in the form of truffles. This recipe from epicurious.com is one of the recipes that I like to use.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is there Whole Foods in Texas? It has just even opened a branch in London. No organic food is cheap. It really tastes different. Truffles is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing!

By the way, what kind of cuisine does your husband cook?

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

readandeat,

Believe it or not, Whole Foods was founded in Texas - Austin, Texas. But, to my disadvantage, Whole Foods stores are only located in bigger cities in Texas, like Austin, Houston, & I think, Dallas. In a suburb like College Station, my biggest bet to get cheap organic produce is to grow some in the yard, which I do. We just picked some tomoatoes & bell peppers from our tiny vegetable garden a couple of days ago. They're delicious!

I always encourage chocolate lovers to make their own truffles. It looks difficult but it's really not. & they taste great - just remember to use good chocolate.

About my husband: he started learning french cuisine but he now cooks basically everything.

Anonymous said...

just to remind you, honkie is a negative term, coined by singaporeans

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

anonymous,
well, negative or not, i don't really care. it's like we used to call white people "ghost" gweilo in a negative sense but the word has evolved to a neutral term.