Monday, July 9, 2007

Allergies or cold?

Despite the poor air quality in Hong Kong, I never had any allergies when I was there. Ever since the very first Spring that I moved to California 4 years ago, I have been having allergies every pollen-flying season. Sometimes it's mild. Sometimes it gets pretty bad.

Every time I'm living in a suburban neighborhood, I get bad allergies. All the time I was living in San Francisco, I was fine. But when I was living in the wine country & now in this small town in Texas, my allergies have gotten worse and worse. I guess to save my circulatory organs, I should consider moving back to the city, which seems ironic but nonetheless true.

My husband and I always have this argument about allergies and cold. Because the symptoms are so similar, and that the flu season and the allergy season happen about the same time, it's really hard to tell what one is suffering from.

This past couple of weeks, both of us are having sinus problems, headaches, and coughs. My husband believes strongly that it is allergies, and that taking an allergy pill every day should do the trick. I, on the other hand, think it's more than allergies. I suspect both of us are having a cold, especially seeing no sign of improvement on my husband even he takes his medication religiously.

To prove my point - and end my misery - I've decided to see a doctor today. I hope she'll save me from having night-long coughs again. Meanwhile, I'm going to fix myself another cup of hot lemon drink that my friend Harwaie recommended.

10 comments:

Weiyu Zhang said...

Hi, this is weiyu! What a nice blog. Keep writing...

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

Hey Weiyu,
Thanks for stopping by! Hope you're enjoying your summer in Philly!

Anonymous said...

人地話,嚟咗美國如果七年都無鼻敏感,恭喜你,你之後都唔會有。

我無鼻敏感,之前曾有sinus infection,要吃抗生素,吃完還咳足一個月,好慘﹗我很明白你的感受。

Anonymous said...

hi, 卡門, 看到你的留言, 心裏有一絲的激動, 你好嗎? 已經有了一個孩子了, 很幸福吧! 多點多我那個blog走走啊!

cm

Unknown said...

Does the hot lemon drink work for you? Get well soon.

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

harwaie,

The lemon drink definitely makes me feel better, but I'm still coughing like hell...

Thanks for the recipe!

ah-yun said...

Hi, I live in SF. :) Yes, quite a few of my friends are suffering allergies. I had lived here for many years, for the past few years, I started to have eye allergy. In which I think is not as painful as other allergies.

I think allergy shouldn't cause cough?! There are days where the pollen count is worse, and usually during those days allergy will get worse. If your allergy suddenly gotten worse, you can check the pollen count for those days, then you might able to figure out whether you are sick or just having an allergy attack.

Stay well!

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

Yun,

Thanks for sharing your "allergy story"! It's a little different every time I have allergy. Sometimes it's headache. Sometimes it's sinuses. Sometimes it's a combination of symptoms. Anyway, it seems to be under control now.

How I miss SF! Hopefully, I'll be going there in a few weeks for some freelance work. I keep my fingers crossed!

siuming said...

dear sa sa,
you're not allergic to pollen or the change in season (oh it rhymes, i can't help)...
... you're just allergic to anywhere NOT resembling a city. ;p

ta sun sun

p.s. why didn't you call?

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

sun sun,

je sais! but i guess i'm getting use to this Texas weather since last week when gary is suffering from allergies, i was affected at all.

okay okay! will call this week!