Sunday, July 29, 2007

Identity Crisis

As soon as my husband and I decided to live in America 5 years ago, I started stocking up Chinese outfits, fearing that I might not be able to buy any stylish, reasonably priced Min Naap, traditional Chinese silk-lined jacket, in the U.S.

At first I didn't give much thought to this seemingly silly past-time. But one day, while I was shopping in Wanchai for a nice min naap with my friend Madam Lau, she asked, "Are you having an identity crisis?"

Obviously unprepared for such a deep question, I looked at her and couldn't think of an answer. After about 30 seconds, I told her calmly, "Probably."

This strong sense of lost and confusion kept lingering in my mind after I moved to California. As an English major at college, I was trained to keep asking myself the question, "who am I?" But this became increasingly hard to answer in the first 2 years that I came to the U.S.

I was in the process of getting a green card, so I can't work. I didn't drive (I didn't have a HK driver's license & no green card. So it was impossible for me to get a U.S. driver's license.), and so I was very confined geographically. Almost all my new friends are friends of my husband's. I knew they knew my name and everything, but I have no doubt that I'm nothing more than "Gary's wife."

And then, I had my baby. I started making some friends of my own, though still not working. I was promoted from "Gary's wife" to "Genghis' mom." During this time, I was quite lost, though not unhappy. (Honey, if you're reading this, I'm not complaining!)

Not until I started my first job in San Francisco did I finally re-establish my identity. I was lucky enough to find a job at an advertising agency that not only allowed me to write in Chinese, but also let me bond with quite a few gals from Hong Kong. I felt totally alive. I had a job I liked a lot and girlfriends that I enjoy hanging out with. I stopped thinking about my identity because I knew who I was.

Less than a year later, my husband got a great offer in Texas, and my prospect of getting a decent job there seemed pretty promising. We decided to give it a try.

Once here, I started thinking about who I am all over again.

I'm Chinese. Yes - but I'm obviously differnt from most Chinese around here because I'm not from the mainland. We grew up in totally different cultural environment.

I speak fluent Mandarin (or, more accurately, Putonghua), but with an unmistakable Hongkong accent. I might get by if it's a simple and brief conversation. However, most of the time, as soon as we get to the tenth sentence or so, my mainland Chinese acquaintance will ask me where I'm from.

And, I'm definitely not an American. I speak the language, know the culture well enough, and even married to one. But I am NOT an American. So who am I really?

I still don't know the full extent of the answer to this question, but I'm trying, little by little, to come to terms with who I am, and try to use this to my advantage. I don't need to be just like the other person. I can be more than the other person.

I'm Chinese, but more specifically, I'm a Hongkie. I understand the Chinese culture as well as the western culture. I speak and write two of the most used languages in the world. I had been working in one of the most fast-paced work environment in the world - the media industry in Hong Kong. I can handle any extent of stress in any kind of work environment, I believe.

I'm old enough to appreciate traditions and history, but not too old to learn the new.

I'm a wife, a mom, a daughter, and a sister. And, most important of all, I'm a writer. This is probably how I found and re-discover my identity.

I write, therefore I am. Thank god for the blogosphere.

16 comments:

Unknown said...

haha..to me, you are always the stylish mom, the great cook and knitter as well as a wonderful co-worker and friend!

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

harwaie,
wahwahwah! the top hat is too big for me la - 咁大頂高帽受唔住呀!

Anonymous said...

It's so fascinating that you've chosen to write about this.

I am a caucasian American living in Hong Kong for five years.

I understand and read a little bit of Chinese, but I am through and through an English speaking American.

Yet, I have no cultural definitive origin. From the time I was born, literally, I have moved around at least every 18 m onths, from places as diverse as Texas, London, New Delhi, etc.

I have all of my life been answering at the drop of a hat who I am. I don't mean to sound like a rip off of Descartes, but I have come to think: "I am partly the situation I am in, and I am partly something other. I will always be something other. I think I am other, there fore I am other. But at the same time, I am that momentary exegesis of the culture I am in."

I do not belong, but I do not have lack of meaning. I am like a cypher.

IT's fascinating, really. I have seen so much, therefore, I am all those things. I am witness and actor. I am me, and I am them.

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

Anonymous,
What you said is so true. Yes, I believe it gives you a certain kind of emotional instability when you're a foreigner. You always feel like you belong to the place to a certain extent, but never entirely.

I'm sure you understand that most HK people feel culturally "rootless". We're Chinese, but not exactly. Even little things like the accent I have - when I speak in English, I have a mixed accent of Chinese & British; whereas, when I speak in Mandarin, I have a HK accent.

And the strange thing is I want to be that way. I feel like I'm never 100% of something. But the sum of all things that I am is more than 100%. I know it sounds absolutely arrogant, but that's really just how I feel.

Anonymous said...

As a man who has lived in Hong Kong and let it seep entirely under my skin, as a journalist, as some women's lover, as a friend, I know exactly what you mean, and I want you to be that way too.

Hong Kong is the greatest city on earth and the one that brings great joy to the people who love and hate it. It's hard to explain, but what we experience is fascinating.

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

Anonymous,
I didn't realize how much I love HK, and how wonderful this city is until I'm not there anymore.

In Chinese, there's a saying, "you don't know how lucky you're when you're experiencing it." I'm glad you know how special your experience in HK is.

Weiyu Zhang said...

i really like this post and enjoy ur conversation with the anonymous. as a mainland chinese living in the states, i constantly realize that i cannot be the "pure" chinese anymore. obviously, i am not an american. i sometimes struggle between staying chinese and becoming american, which feels like different forces stretching me towards different directions. but the point is that although it makes me confused, the situation is anything but unhappy. i feel happy that i can decide how much chinese/american i want to be and that i can enjoy being both somewhat, although to my limited extent.
we are the products of our life history. we are also the products of our own choices, no matter whether they are truly free/enlightened/what we want to choose. live INTO the reality and have fun. :)

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

Viyu,

I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

Yeah, I guess one could only try to look at the situation on the bright side, and cherish the unique experience you have. Or else you would become miserably homesick.

Anonymous said...

表達較深的內容,我還是用中文吧。

我一直覺得自己是生活在美國的香港人。對於美國文化,其實是我生活的城市的文化,有些地方我會欣賞,有些我會感到不屑。

你叫我完全代入美國人的身分是不可能的事,因為我不在這裡長大,有很多價值觀我不理解也不會認同。但是,既然我已人不在香港,香港的人與事,我只有關心的份兒。

在這兒,我覺得自己的身分,加上我的專業,卻為我造就了許多別人沒有的機會。

其實在外國,我覺得最令人胡思亂想是因為自己沒有太多朋友。我指的朋友不是點頭泛泛之交,美國人凡是認識的都叫朋友。交朋友不一定要是同種族的人,不過,由於文化不同,交到不同種族的朋友較難。而且,在本市,人口經常流動,新交的朋友可能搬到別州去,要建立一段剛發芽的友誼實在不易。

越說越長了,不好意思。

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

readandeat,
有朋友曾說過, 若果18歲或以後才到外地生活, 說的外語都必定會有母語的口音. 經驗告訴我她這話說的甚準,而且我想更可套用到文化層面上--至少我跟你都認同, 不是在美國長大的, 很難完全明白他們的文化. 不過如果能夠找到自己的niche, 就經己很不錯了!

我也覺得在這邊較難找到可以談心事的朋友, 不要說你在大城市, 我在這小小的市鎮, 也一點不容易. 文化種族都不是障礙, 反而是現代人都不願投資太多時間在別人身上, 要找深交, 還是要看點緣份吧.

Anonymous said...

readandeat

我是方,一直以為你在香港。

網上,總是有種時空錯亂的感覺,在妳的網誌上既已說了不再出現, 就只能" 寄生" 在其人的" 地頭" 了。( 德州卡門,請諒 。)

Anonymous said...

(德州卡門,不好意思,借用地方一用)

我也抄書。

方:
玩捉迷藏?

記得我也是這樣到處留言,要人家追看。想不到,現在要到處找你的人是我自己﹗﹗

唉,風水輪流轉。隨緣吧,要看到就會看到,看不到我也沒有辦法。

***
八月中我會出門一個星期,不能到處找你了。勿念。哈哈。

Aug 3, 7:49 AM

Anonymous said...

Hello there!
I am so moved of what you wrote! And the comments here also spoke my feeling!

Talking about "Minnap", i wanted to get one too from my last visit in HK. But now I worry about if the stuffing is clean! ... it's complicated to be Chinese and a hong konger. I am still looking for my identity!

Anyway, you got a great blog! :)

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

ellen,
thanks for stopping by! it takes a while to emotionally adjust to the physical changes. just take it easy!

about the min naap, my advice is if you bought it at a reputable store in HK, it should be fine. i got mine at 中藝 (think it's called Chinese Arts or something).

Anonymous said...

I have been lurking with interest. I can totally understand what you're going through. I have been in the U.S for 24 years. Most of the time I consider myself a Hong Konger living in the U.S but other times I consider myself Chinese American. Integration is a long process, not a destination, I suppose. I enjoy your blog very much and am so happy to discover other blogs written by Hong Kong women. Too bad I can't type Chinese.

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

Annonymous,

Thanks for stopping by! I'm glad that you enjoyed the posts here, but this has become a "defunct" blog. I have a new blog over at www.hongkieatlarge.wordpress.com. Check it out if you're interested. I don't update this blog any more.

I discovered all these blogs written by overseas HK women through my own blog, & am really grateful about it.