Thursday, August 16, 2007

Racist, really?

I was reading this article just the other day. It's basically about a Canadian who tries to figure out why he is often called a racist. And then last Monday, something happened that makes me think about one more time this issue called racism.

So what actually happened? It's not that big a deal, really. But a group from a major oil company in Vietnam took a visit to where I work. One of the group members was extremely rude, and my colleague, who's a relatively young lady who grew up in Texas and didn't have a lot of experience working with people from other cultures (Well, in Texas, you're a foreigner if you're from California. Imagine that.). She got a little offended by the Vietnamese guy because he kept asking her to take pictures for him in a very rude manner - no thank you or please, & gesturing instead of speaking. I was suspecting this made her think that Vietnamese are very rude in general. And, because of how she reacted, it's easy for an outsider to think she is discriminatory toward Vietnamese.

It is, of course, unfair to make generalizations like this. But at the same time, it is easy if this is your only encounter with people from that culture. Depending on the context, an individual does not only represent his/her self, but also the family, community, and culture that one is from.
Is she racist? Or is the rude Vietnamese guy racist? Probably neither of them are. But I can see it would be easy for anyone to think they are because of what happened.

I remember when I was in Hong Kong, my foreigner friends would complain to me that Chinese are racist. I never understood why. I think Hong Kong people are generally not racist. They're just discriminatory to people with no money.

Is it racist to call a Caucasian gweilo/gweipor (ghost man/ghost woman)? I genuinely don't think so. When we say gwei, we don't really mean anything bad about the westerner we're addressing to. It's just a name that we've been using for so many years that it's hard to change.

My husband is black. When we're in Hong Kong, some people would call him haak gwei (black ghost). At first, I felt a little uneasy about the name. But after a while, I realize that it's just a name that distinguishes him from other ghosts.

One time when we were driving in Houston, we asked a passerby how to get to China town. This person was obviously not very educated. He gave us the directions and then he said, "You'll see a lot of Chinamen there."

So was he being racist? Probably not. I know some Chinese get really upset about the name Chinaman. But I think, at least in this incident, that the guy was just using a phrase that he knew. He didn't know better. What did he know about racism, honestly? When he was giving us directions, he looked nothing but genuinely eager to help.

It's a fine line between racism and otherwise. But in the U.S., I feel like some people are using every chance they get to accuse someone of being racist so as to take advantage of it.

Take the N-word for example. It's okay for a black stand-up comedian to address himself by the N-word, but if any white person say an African-American (This term is itself problematic. My husband hates it. He's of African heritage but is from the Carribeans. So he never considers himself an "African".) is an N----, it's an absolute no-no.

Especially in the U.S., I think a lot of politicians are using the race issue as a tool to get what they want.

It's easy to say someone is racist, but before we make the accusation, we should really think about the motives or reason behind the obvious.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, good points all. I think at the end of the day it comes down to words being just that, words. It's the meaning behind them that is important.

If I say "Chinaman" and I mean "Chinese people" - no harm/no foul. If I say "Chinaman" and I mean it derogatorily, well then... that's another issue.

There are far too many people in the world to understand how everyone is going to react to every term, so I think the responsibility should be (at least in a large part) on the person receiving the communication to decide whether it's meant to be offensive or not.

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

the humanaught,
Yeah, it's always easy to say someone is this or the other. I'm getting more and more annoyed about the PC police. Everything has to be said "politically correctly". You cannot say anyone is fat or stupid anymore. The person may be overweight or mantally challenged, but never fat or stupid. How stupid is this!

Anonymous said...

very interesting topic!
Living in Canada for so many years now and I am still confused with something: in my work place, the white coworkers would never say the word "black" in front of the black co workers. But would the black people really get upset about it?! and their hair... I am always fascinated to see the creativity of their hairstyle and the way they care about their hair... but if I comment about their hair, would they get offended?

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

ellen,
Well, I'd say most balck people wouldn't be offended being called black. As a matter of fact, they have a saying, "I'm black; I'm proud." So I don't think this is a discriminatory word. But sometimes people are just too cautious. That's why there are names like African Americans, Asian Americans (sometimes we're even called Asian Pacific Americans because everybody has to be included!), Hispanic Americans, etc.

As for the hairstyle, as long as you say it in a sincere way, I don't think people will be offended.

ah-yun said...

I'm not sure if I totally agree with you on this one. Just because those name calling meant nothing but convenience to you, doesn't mean it doesn't meant something to some people who said them. Because, behind each ethnicity label, there's a history behind it. Even the person who said it doesn't mean anything, but the listener will hear it differently due to "history." I think that the basic respect for people is not to label them in anyway. And we should educate ourselves to know the other ethnicity better besides the stereotypes.

I do think the people are not living in the two coasts are more racist, maybe due to the fact that they aren't expose to different ethnicities as much as the people on the coasts.

But yes I agree that sometimes people do get too sensitive and try to be politically correct about this issue.

Lastly, I do think Chinese is a very racist population. Maybe not so much to Caucasians, but they are pretty discriminating to any other groups of people. (Just think of the Chinese minorities.)

Argh... big issue... said too much...

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

Yun,
Yes, I think you're right in that you should try to be as sensitive to others as possible when it comes to issues related to race and ethnicity. But you also need to know the difference between being intentional or plain ignorant. I always believe you cannot blame someone for their ignorance or stupidity. If you don't know, you don't know, unless someone tell you about it.
We, as a minority in this country, is of course far more sensitive to racial issues, but, like you said, caucasians who grew up in the middle of the country, or less educated people, may really have no clue about what racist is. I'm not saying they're doing the right thing. It's just that they don't know better. What we need in this world of diversity is education.

ah-yun said...

well, here's the thing, if one's racist, then he/she simply is; being ignorant about it doesn't make one otherwise.

But I understand what you mean. Yes, I might be more tolerant if they just not know better, but I would pity such ignorance. I marvel at people's narrowed mindset.

TX Carmen 德州卡門 said...

yun,
don't get me wrong. i'm not giving any excuse to people who do not respect other cultures. like you said, some people can be horribly narrow-minded. i don't get upset by them, instead i feel pity for their impossible ignorance.